Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Real Reason Why Network Marketing Doesn't Work For You!

Randy Gage, one of the top network marketing trainers as well as distributors (He is a million dollar income earner in the opportunity he is involved in) is reviewing this week some of the reasons why network marketing doesn't work for people. If you click on his name above, it will take you to his blog where you can read about it. Start with the blog post "Why Things Don't Work" and work your way up from there.


Today I want to talk to you about why I believe network marketing doesn't work for most people. Just to give you my prospective. I have been involved in this industry and with the same company for five years. I have created some success, but nowhere near the level of success that I know I am capable of. Fortunately, unlike a lot of people in this industry, I know exactly WHY I haven't created the type of success I should be enjoying right now.

I've also met a lot of people involved in this industry. Most of them, I believe they too aren't creating as much success as they are capable of. Some of them are creating outstanding success. I have friends in this industry that have gotten involved AFTER me that now already make a six figure income. I have friends in this industry that make a six figure monthly income. So I've seen a lot behind the scenes.

Based on my personal experience, as well as the experience of people that I know personally (the successful ones, the ones that have created some success but not as much as they probably should be, and the unsuccessful ones), I have found that there are really only three reasons why people are not excelling in this industry.

What's interesting about it is that I believe that an OVERWHELMING majority of the people not having success all fall into one category. A smaller contingent falls in a second category and an even smaller group falls in a third category. Today, I will share with you exactly what they are so that you too will know why you aren't having success.

So here are the three reasons why network marketing doesn't work for most people.

#1 - 90% of people in network marketing don't follow the system!

Now I know you are probably going to argue and tell me you follow the system, but the truth is you probably don't. I know you don't. I've been doing this for a while and there are just certain things that you just know when you have been doing something for a while. One of the things that I know is that you are probably not following the system.

Come on, be honest with yourself for a second. Are you REALLY exposing X number of people a day like your company leaders are teaching? Are you REALLY using a third party tool or are you running your mouth pitching people on your opportunity? I know a lot of you AREN'T using third party tools. You want to know how I know? Because YOU PITCH ME and you don't use a tool, you run you mouth (or in this case since most people pitch me online, you run your KEYBOARD!)

Are you REALLY reading those books every day and listening to those CDs every day? Are you really showing up to your events on a regular and consistent basis or are you only showing up when you think you might have a guest coming out? You are not doing it. Don't feel too bad though. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not doing it either!

While I've been in this industry 5 years, I know I'm not consistently doing ALL of the things that I'm suppose to be doing. There are some things that I'm great and consistent at and there are some things that I'm not. For instance, I'm great at plugging into the events. I'm at almost every event I'm suppose to be at and I've been that way for the past 5 years.

I'm OK when it comes to the personal development. I've been doing personal development well before network marketing so it is not a big chore for me to read books and listen to CDs. However sometimes I may skip a few days if I get caught up with work in my business or something like that.

I'm not that great when it comes to the exposing people to my business. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of people that I can expose. The problem is I am not consistent at all when it comes to sitting down, making those contacts on a regular basis and MOST IMPORTANTLY following up with those contacts until I collect a decision. That's exactly why even though I've created some success, my success is nowhere where it probably should be if I was more consistent.

So I know that if I'm not consistent, and I've probably build a larger organization than the vast majority of people in this industry, I know for a fact that 90% of you are not consistent either at following the system and that's exactly why you aren't having success right now. You have to sell out to the system and do it on a regular and consistent basis, not just part of it and not just the parts you like. If you make a cake with only 9 out of the 10 ingredients it needs, it will still be a nasty cake!

#2 - 9% of people in network marketing follow the system but have the wrong expectations!

A smaller group of you are following the system but you still aren't having success. Do you want to know why? It is because your expectations of success are totally off!

For some of you, it's really not your fault. The reason why is because you have been taught wrong. Your sponsor or whatever group you were working with told you some things that are simply not accurate by any stretch of the imagination. Because you were taught wrong, this has created false expectations for you.

One example, if someone told you that you can build a serious network marketing business without any money, you have incorrect expectations. This business requires a financial investment. It's not a huge investment in the grand scheme of things but there is a financial investment required to do this business the right way. You need money for marketing tools, you need money for product (if you are in a product based company), you need money to attend events and you need money for personal development resources.

Another example of poor expectations, one of my distributors told me that some lady was trying to recruit him and she told him "You've been involved for more than a year and you aren't earning six figures yet?" That's a classic example of incorrect expectations.

Don't get me wrong, can you earn six figures in your first year? Of course you can! I know a guy right now with no network marketing experience in my company who earned six figures his first 10 months in the company. So it can most certainly be done. However, if your expectations is that you have to earn six figures your first year or else it doesn't work, your expectations are totally off.

Randy Gage said it best on his blog. It takes three years to build a stable income and it takes five years to create financial freedom. Keep in mind that's 3-5 years of actually following the system, which goes back to the first reason I talked about above.

#3 - 1% of people in network marketing follow the system but have a poor skill set.

There's a small group of you who have the right expectations and you are following the system, yet you still aren't having success. For that small group of you, the problem is a skill set issue. You are lacking the skills that are necessary to build this business effectively.

For example, the #1 skill set that I see lacking in this industry is prospecting. Here is how the process works. Most people who stick around and make a serious attempt to build this business go through the following scenario. They get started, they make their initial contact list of everybody that they know. They go through their list, systematically exposing their contacts to the opportunity. Then eventually, they get to a point where they run out of people to talk to.

What makes matters even WORSE is that most companies and teams do a poor job at teaching their teams what to do when they run out of contacts to expose in their warm market. One of the reasons why is a concern among the top leaders of distracting their organization. They know that the foundation of a successful network marketing business is exposing friends and family.

They also know that the overwhelming majority of their organization will never even need to learn how to make contacts outside of their circle of influence because they won't be doing this business that long anyway. If this is you and you have a skill set issue and your company or organization isn't providing you with anything more than "pique the waitress" or "buy some leads" it's up to you to get the training and information you need to develop and improve your skill set on your own.

The good thing is that with the advent of the internet there are a lot of resources out there that we previously didn't have access to. The bad thing is with the advent of the internet, a lot of those resources are crap and if you aren't careful you could spend a lot of money on a bunch of crap that doesn't work.

So the bottom line is if network marketing isn't working for you, it is probably because of one of these 3 reasons.

P.S. - If finding people to talk to is a challenge for you, check out my free report on mlm and network marketing prospecting where I reveal the 7 strategies that have worked for me. The good news is that this report is free so you can try this stuff yourself and see if it works for you.

0 comments: